Couldn't get it working

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:08 PM
I was looking forward to this but I couldn't get it working. I installed it as requested. Opened up a page, added web-part, checked "SPUserPoll", but once I clicked "Add", the default.aspx page shows this:

An error occurred during the processing of . Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Office.Server, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

The only way for me to bring back the working default.aspx page, is by going to default.aspx?contents=1 and deleting the web part.

I then went to uninstall it as per the directions, and when I completed the uninstall it still showed up when adding a web-part. Though when you check it's box and click "add", it gives me an IE pop-up error that says,

SPUserPoll: Cannot import the Poll Display Web Part

Any thoughts?
Coordinator
Jan 16, 2009 at 10:47 AM
Hi Eric,

Are you using WSS or MOSS? I did not reference the Microsoft.Office.Server explicitly in my project, so I hope that I can find why SharePoint is searching for that DLL.
So can you post me some more info about  your environment?
WSS / Moss and what servicepacks are installed?

It's also strange that the webpart is not removed from the Webpart dialog. Normally the de-activate code of the Feature should remove the webpart information file from the library.

Regards,

Edwin

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:10 PM
Hi Edwin,

Thanks for the reply. I am using WSS. I believe we have all of the latest service packs installed as well.

If you make any changes I'd be happy to give it another go ahed, as this seemed like a great tool.

Cheers-

~Eric
Coordinator
Jan 17, 2009 at 9:22 AM
Hi Eric,

I think the error has to do with the WSS installation. I develop the application on Moss.
This weekend there is a release with Graphs, after that release I will perform some WSS tests to see if I can get my webpart to work on WSS.
As far as I know, i'm not using Moss only requirements, so I should probably be able to fix it. I'll let you know the outcome.

Edwin
Coordinator
Jan 19, 2009 at 5:54 PM
Hello Eric,

I have tested the control in a WSS only environment and found the error.
But there are also a few other WSS compatability problems in the code which I have to fix.

I have created a work item (issue) in the issue tracker.

I hope to have it fixed this week.

Regards,

Edwin
Coordinator
Jan 23, 2009 at 11:39 AM
Hi,

I have the WSS issues fixed. The new version will be released this weekend. Stay tuned!
Jan 23, 2009 at 4:31 PM
Looking forward to it, thanks!
Coordinator
Jan 24, 2009 at 3:09 PM
Hi Eric,

I have just released the new version.
To be sure that the install goes ok, remove all Sharepoint "Poll" lists created on the site

Good look! Hope that it works for you.
Jan 26, 2009 at 11:33 PM
Hi Edwin,

I just installed the newest version of this poll and when setting up a new poll, once I finished putting in my question and setting the settings, I attempted to click "Manage Answers" to setup the remaining parts and I get an Error:

An unexpected error has occurred.

Web Parts Maintenance Page: If you have permission, you can use this page to temporarily close Web Parts or remove personal settings. For more information, contact your site administrator

I can go back to see the page and the webpart shows the same thing of "Your poll has been created but is currently unpublished" but I cannot click "Manage Answers" because it takes me to the same Error page.

Thoughts?

~Eric
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2009 at 7:19 AM
Hi Eric,

Can you navigate to the view all items page of the sitecollection: /_layouts/viewlsts.aspx
Can you confirm that the following lists exist:
  • Available SPUserPolls  
  • SPUserPoll answers  
  • SPUserPoll responses
If those list are not there there might be an issue with user rights. If those lists exist, go to the "Answers" lists and then go into the folder with the name of your poll. You can then add possible answers. You should then be able to publish the polls.

Can you provide me the user rights you have? Are you site collection administrator? site owner?

Let me know how it works, I can then dive into the code again to see what might be the error.

Regards,

Edwin

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:31 PM
Hi Edwin,

I followed your instructions and all 3 of the lists exist. I went to the SPUserPoll answers list, then went into the folder for the poll, and added possible answers. I then went to my dashboard where the poll was setup to be displayed, I hit "Publish Poll" and it now gives me this error for default.aspx:

An error occurred during the processing of . Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.DataVisualization, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

I had to go to the webpart manage page (?contents=1) in order to close the Poll so that the page shows up.

I tried repeating all of the steps and the outcome has been the same:

• Manage Poll gives me an error
  • When I go to the SPUserPoll answers page and put in the possible answers for the poll, go back to the dashboard and click "Publish", I receive the same error as above.

Sorry about all of this, Edwin. I wish it all worked seemlessly :)

~Eric

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2009 at 5:56 PM
Hi Eric,

The issue on the "manage answers" and "manage response" links occur when the poll site collection is not in the root of the application
http://portal/ will work but http://portal/sites/test/ will fail. I'm fixing the error at the moment and hope to release the new version tonight.

The error "Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.DataVisualization, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. " Means that the .Net 3.5 Charts are not installed. Download the newest manual to get the urls to the .NET 3.5 SP1 installation and Charts installation.  They will be in future Windows updates, but currently you still have to download them.

Thanks for all your feedback, without it I wouldn't be able to debug the webpart!

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:27 PM
Hi Edwin,

2 things I was doing wrong: (1) I was trying it out a site located at portal/sites/test/ and (2) I had not installed the Charts componenet.

I installed the Charts (I tried to install the .Net 3.5 but I apparently had it installed already) and the attempted to add a poll to my regular SP WSS site, on a subsite portal/blank/. It is still throwing the error when I click "Manage answers" after creating the poll. But this time, in my View All Site Content, the 3 previously mentioned lists are not listed.

I will try the new version you are working on when you're done and see if that helps. Glad I'm not a bother!

~Eric
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2009 at 6:52 PM
Hi Eric,

I just released the 0.2.2 version.
It should now work in all subsites and sub-sitecollections like portal/sites/test/

So I hope it will work allright now ;) New in the release is also an anonymous vote option.

Regards,

Edwin
Jan 27, 2009 at 7:08 PM
I just installed the newest version. The link to Manage Answers worked fine as well as Publish Poll. However, when I went to submit an answer, I got this:

The "PollDisplayWebPart" Web Part appears to be causing a problem. Error executing child request for ChartImg.axd.

My interpretation is that maybe there is something wrong with the charts install? Do I need to restart any services after I installed the charts from Microsoft?

~Eric
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2009 at 7:15 PM
Hi Eric,

There is a small glitch with the 2.2 release. I'm releasing it again in the next hour.

About your new error. I guess you forgot to make te required web.config changes for the Charting control.
You have to add 2 changes in the web.config of the site. Page 4 in the manual.

Regards,

Edwin
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2009 at 7:36 PM
Ok the correct 2.2 release is out.
I hope you're last trouble is with the web.config settings.

If you upgrade the application the webpart might dissapear from the webpart dialog. You will then have to reactivate the userpoll feature (page 12 in the documentation)
Jan 27, 2009 at 7:54 PM
You were correct, I did not do the setup that asks me to change web.config.

I went in to web.config and added the code to <httpHandlers>, but I did not have a section called <appSettings> to add the code for the chart image handler.

I did try to add a section called <appSettings> with the one-liner, but that casued SharePoint to completely error so I took it out.

The poll works for voting but will not show any of the charts. It gives this: 

The "PollDisplayWebPart" Web Part appears to be causing a problem. Invalid temp directory in chart handler configuration [c:\TempImageFiles\]

~Eric
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2009 at 8:50 PM
Edited Jan 27, 2009 at 8:51 PM
Hi Eric, 
The setting is required to tell the chart handler where to store the images.
In WSS the appsetting region is missing by default and has to be added. Here is the bottom of my working WSS web.config. Hope it helps you to get it working.

<System.Workflow.ComponentModel.WorkflowCompiler>
    <authorizedTypes>
      <authorizedType Assembly="System.Workflow.Activities, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" Namespace="System.Workflow.*" TypeName="*" Authorized="True" />
      <authorizedType Assembly="System.Workflow.ComponentModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" Namespace="System.Workflow.*" TypeName="*" Authorized="True" />
      <authorizedType Assembly="System.Workflow.Runtime, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" Namespace="System.Workflow.*" TypeName="*" Authorized="True" />
      <authorizedType Assembly="System.Transactions, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" Namespace="System*" TypeName="*" Authorized="True" />
      <authorizedType Assembly="mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" Namespace="System*" TypeName="*" Authorized="True" />
      <authorizedType Assembly="System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" Namespace="System*" TypeName="*" Authorized="True" />
      <authorizedType Assembly="Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow" TypeName="SPWorkflowActivationProperties" Authorized="True" />
      <authorizedType Assembly="Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow" TypeName="SPWorkflowTaskProperties" Authorized="True" />
      <authorizedType Assembly="Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow" TypeName="SPWorkflowHistoryEventType" Authorized="True" />
      <authorizedType Assembly="Microsoft.SharePoint.WorkflowActions, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.WorkflowActions" TypeName="*" Authorized="True" />
    </authorizedTypes>
  </System.Workflow.ComponentModel.WorkflowCompiler>
  <appSettings>
    <add key="ChartImageHandler" value="Storage=memory;Timeout=20;Url=~/tempImages/;" />
  </appSettings>
</configuration>

As you can see you have to add the Appsetting region add the end of the file, just before the </configuration> section.
Jan 27, 2009 at 10:42 PM
Success!

Thanks again for all of your hard work in helping me to get this working!

~Eric
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2009 at 6:39 AM
No problem, Enjoy!

Edwin