Polls not working with Greek characters

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:04 PM
Hello,

I have installed the SPUserPoll in a Greek environment Sharepoint 2007. The installation worked great and apart from some minor issues everything worked great up until the point I went on to create my first poll.

1) In the edit question it doesn't let me use Greek letters for the poll title, when I did it gave me an error just as if I had typed special characters, 'only alphanumerical characters can be used for the poll title' it said. When I typed an english title worked fine.

2) At the manage answers, when I created 3 list items to be used as possible answers and they were of course in Greek it didn't give access to the first page of my site, I had to type the items in latin characters for the poll to work.

Has anyone else encountered an error like this and if so how did you solve it?

Is this poll not working with non-latin characters? Is there any thought on improving this on a future release?

Thank you very much in advance.

Panos
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2009 at 6:57 PM
Hi Panos,

Thanks for your message. In the current release I added a "Alphanumeric character" check to allow only alphanumeric characters. Characters like !*&^ generated errors in the environment.  It seems that this blocks out characters from languages like Greek.
I'm collecting the current issues for a new release, so they will be solved.

Can you post me an example string of the characters that give problems? 

Regards,

Edwin
Mar 23, 2009 at 6:58 AM
Hello Edwin,

For example in the poll title i tried to type the Greek word Δημοσκόπηση or for a possible answer I entered the word Απάντηση.

These are just an example of two common Greek words.

I don't know if it would help you but here is the entire Greek alphabet in qwerty order :P

ΖΧΨΩΒΝΜΑΣΔΦΓΗΞΚΛΕΡΤΥΘΙΟΠ

ζχψωβνμασδφγηξκλερτυθιοπ ς

Regards,

Panos
Coordinator
Mar 31, 2009 at 6:02 PM
Hi Panos,

Sorry for the big delay. I had a very busy time. I'm picking up development for SPUserPol lagain.

I have tested the situation. When using a latin title with the answers and question in greek words, I don't have any problems.
I will remove the current alphanumeric check, and I will replace it with a check on a few invalid characters.

It will be included in the upcomming release.

Regards,

Edwin