Using Poll on an Anonymous Site Collection

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:17 AM
Edwin,

Great part, works very well as long as I am a logged in user to the Site Collection. However I would like to use it on a public facing internet site so anonymous users can vote in the polls. I have already deactivated the "ViewFormPagesLockDown" feature on the site collection to allow anonymous user to post info to other Lists, so an aware of having to break permission inheritance on Lists and specifically add Anonymous User permissions to Lists. However doing this did not help on the 3 lists for SPUserPoll.

I was just getting the generic error so modified web.config in the hope it would give me more info... unfortunately my .Net skills are practically nill so hope you can help...

Error for an anonymous user is :

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   SPUserPoll.Business.Components.User.GetUserLogin() +28
   SPUserPoll.Presentation.WebParts.PollDisplayWebPart.CreateChildControls() +516
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +87
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +44
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts.WebPart.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +42
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +171
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +842

Is there something I can configure to get it to work for a public site ????

Thanks heaps,
Mike D
Sharepoint Admin : Heart Foundation of Australia